Join a growing R&D group of an international company with over 5200 employees in 30 countries. In fact this position is open due to growth! It's a high viability role and will involve cutting edge technology. You will serve as the subject matter expert for mechatronic controls.
The company is a global one but has a Midwestern feel with Midwest family values. They are currently renovating their main offices and creating a more open office environment with both standing and sitting desks. This company has low turnover. Other perks include being eligible for benefits from day one, 401K with matching, and relocation assistance.
Located southwest of Kansas City, you get to enjoy the best of both worlds: the relaxing countryside along the Marais Des Cygnes river with the option to travel into the city for baseball, football, NASCAR, and performing arts. Low cost of living area too! Or, if you prefer to live in or near the city, you can zip down I-35 for your commute.
Principal Systems Engineer Job Summary:
This position is responsible for the design, development, and project delivery of systems design for products within the Terminal Tractors / Mobile Equipment division. Terminal tractors are also referred to as spotter trucks or yard trucks and are small semi-trucks that you may find at warehouse and distribution operations, shipping ports, rail terminals, etc. In this role you will serve as the subject matter expert for mechatronic controls and focus on R&D projects.
- Deliver engineering projects.
- Define specifications for components and systems in collaboration with Chief Engineers and R&D Manager.
- Set up development plan for components and systems.
- Ensure that the components and systems meet specified technical customer demands, product safety, legislation requirements, and internal demands for Terminal Tractor products.
- Choose design solutions, material, and components according to customer demands.
- Develop and coordinate components and systems design between Terminal Tractor products.
- Be responsible for resolving service, production and supplier issues.
- Check and approve purchase drawings, regarding standards.
- Plan and perform activities according to specified requirements and time schedule as decided by you and the R&D Manager.
- Responsible for regularly reporting to the R&D Manager regarding outcome and possible deviations.
- Ensure cooperation between Terminal Tractor R&D and Supply
- Perform customer and supplier visits.
- Initiate and order testing for verification and evaluation of a design.
- Provide coaching and training within your own areas of responsibility.
- BS Degree in Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering (BSEE), or Mechanical Engineering (BSME)
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working with mechatronic controls
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; such as R&D or product experience in electrical/electronic controls/mechatronic systems, or an equivalent Internship or co-op experience in a similar environment.
- Previous experience with product development for low voltage and high voltage vehicle electrical systems is required.
- Technical knowledge regarding Mobile Equipment product types or similar rubber tire vehicles; such as trucks, agricultural equipment, tractors, bulldozers, mining equipment, construction equipment etc.
- Knowledgeable in engineering tools used for design
- The ideal person will...
- be a skilled planner
- have a business- and market mindset
- focus on customer needs
- have good communication skills
- have analytical and structural abilities
- be a driving force and be result oriented
- be a problem solver
- have a positive attitude
- be fluent in English both speaking and writing