A manufacturer and industrial supply distributor is looking to hire a Controls Engineer due to growth and new project work!
Why consider this job?
- it's with a family-owned company
- the company is growing; in the last 3 years they've double in size and greatly increased sales
- permanent, full-time position with benefits including 401k profit sharing
- there's no overnight travel, most projects/customers are local
- you will have the ability to take ownership of this role, define it, and build it into something valuable
As a Controls Engineer, you will be responsible for all technical aspects relating to industrial systems controls for new engineering projects and in-house equipment. This will include field applications, system design, customer product development and enhancement, and machine maintenance. You will be working on a very large process controls project as well as assisting with smaller projects.
Controls Engineer Duties:
- Support the manufacture, build, and validation of systems which include electrical, hydraulic, pneumatics, servos, VFD’s, relays, communication networks, HMI touchscreens, sensors, pushbuttons, etc.
- Develop electrical and controls system designs.
- Create electrical/software designs for customized solutions for manufacturing automation and safety systems.
- Support project development, installation and start-up efforts. Maintain project scope and identify project creep.
- Perform repairs and preventive maintenance of facility equipment and machinery to maintain optimal up time of production equipment.
- Wiring, electrical/mechanical maintenance repair and installation.
- Set-up & troubleshoot controls communication networks (Ethernet/IP, Profinet, etc.).
- Maintain, modify, and troubleshoot PLCs, HMIs, motors, motor controls, drives, electrical circuits and hydraulic systems.
- Provide technical support to both internal and external customers.
- Create customer documentation such as user manuals, programming diagrams, network diagrams, and electrical drawings.
- Architect programs (PLC, HMI, Motion) that are simple to test, well-documented, and versatile.
- Interpret client requirements, identify, and address design parameters & engineering problems to ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget.
- Commission customized products and systems onsite and at customer facilities.
- Modify systems upon customer requests and document the amendments accordingly.
- Provide timely reports summarizing findings on a given product or project.
- Enhance profit through continuous productivity, throughput, customer service, quality and cost reduction.
- Support sales team in pre-sales technical concept and budgeting activities.
- Provide technical knowledge regarding company products and capabilities.
- Associate's or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 3 years or more of relevant work experience in a technical, support-related role.
- Strong knowledge of industrial controls, electrical design, and automated industrial systems including specification of power, sensors, PLCs, HMIs, and communications systems.
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics and controls diagrams.
- Fluid power industry knowledge (hydraulics/pneumatics/lubrication systems) is a plus.
- Experience with computer design tools (i.e. Auto-CAD, Solidworks, Automation Studio, etc.),
- Experience with PLC and HMI programming and troubleshooting (Rockwell/Allen Bradley required, Siemens is a plus!)
- Ability to work in a high-output environment
- Personality traits that will make this engineer successful:
- comfortable being hands on
- enjoys being on the plant floor and not at a desk all day
- can work independently and on a team
- excellent problem-solving skills
- effective communication skills
- responsible, proactive, and resourceful
- organized and able to prioritize